Visiting Ann

After work, I drove to Fred’s office and parked at the front area. I was to pick him up then we go and visit Ann at the hospital. I looked at my wrist watch. It was 5.27pm. 
I heard a knock on the passenger’s seat. I looked over and saw that it was Fred. I opened the door for him, reduced the volume of the radio and gave him a hug. He smelt so good.
“Ready?” I asked.
“Yes, let’s go.”
We arrived at the hospital after about ten minutes. A crowd of people zoomed by us at the entrance as we entered. We walked straight on, took a left turn then entered the first door. Ann was sleeping peacefully. Her left arm was holding the metal part of the bed.
“Maybe we should wait outside.” Fred whispered. “She is still sleeping.”
“Don’t go.” 
We looked at each other surprised that Ann had heard us walking in. She opened her eyes and repeated the same words.
“Don’t go.”
We went near her bed excitedly and asked her how she was doing. She was feeling much better and was even scheduled to be released the next day. She stretched her hands above her head and laughed.
“Oh God! I know I look bad. Look at my hair.” She said touching the tips of her jet black hair.
“No you don’t.” Fred answered.
“You look beautiful.” I added.
“Who has my baby?” Ann asked looking concerned.
“The baby is at my place. My nanny picked him up when we left for hospital.” I replied.
“Oh, that’s good. I was worried about him.” She said. “He is good?”
“Yes he is.”
“Fred, I hope you have not called Mike.”
“Not yet. Kate adviced we do not tell him anything.”
“Thanks. I need him to concentrate on his work. What has happened has already happened.”
We sat with her for about 30 minutes before we excused ourselves to go home. I was to come back again tomorrow at ten and help her get discharged. 
Back home, the nanny was still playing with the kids. Chloe was on her baby walker while Ann’s baby was running around in circles. The look on the nanny’s face was priceless. She was exhausted and just watching them do their thing. She did not even move when she saw us. 
After having a quick shower, I prepared dinner while Fred looked after the kids. The nanny had already left. It was hectic as Chloe kept on crying for me. Since I could not hold her as I was cooking, Fred took over the duties until I was done. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *