The three of us all agreed and ended up calling the first and the last candidate for the job. They had performed well in the interviews compared to others. I called them and asked if they could start working on Monday. We needed them to start working as soon as possible.
That evening, we decided to stay indoors. Fred was to cook dinner while I went to do laundry in the other room. I heard my phone vibrate. I looked at the caller ID and saw it was Ann. I picked it up and said hello but all I could hear was gasps.
“Ann!” I called out.         
I could hear some movements but no one said anything.
“Ann, can you hear me? Are you all right?” I asked again almost shouting on the phone.
When I didn’t get an answer for the third time, my heart skipped a beat. Was she alright? She was pregnant and I was worried that something could have happened. I ran to the kitchen and told Fred about it. He suggested we go to their apartment and see if they are okay. I turned off the cooker and grabbed the car keys and shoes and went down the stairs following Fred. He drove us to Mike and Ann’s apartment.
The house light was on and could tell that there was someone in the house. The windows were still opened. I knocked the door then pushed it inside. Ann was lying on her back on the corridor floor. Her mobile phone was on her right hand side on the floor. I looked at her face and could tell she was in pain. She was cringing while holding her tummy with her left hand.
“Ann, where is Mike?” Fred asked.       
She shook her head.
“Okay, just try and relax. I’ll call an ambulance for you.” Fred said while trying to assure her.
Ann shook her head vigorously.
“What?” I asked.
She managed to whisper. “Just take me to the hospital.”
I raised my head and looked at Fred. He nodded and instinctively, we tried to carry her down to where we had packed the car. The stairs made it a bit awkward as we struggled to keep the balance. As soon as we were able to place her on the car, I raced to the apartment. I looked for the key at the usual place they put it on the table and locked the house.

Lucky for us, there was no traffic all the way to the hospital. As soon as we arrived to the front entrance of the hospital, Fred called out and a stretcher was brought out. Ann was quickly rushed inside and taken to one of the rooms while we were told to wait. I was so scared that I had not noticed I was crying all that time that we were coming over. I sat on one of the chairs in the waiting room and waited. Fred was trying to call Mike but it went straight to voice mail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *